Composing Email Messages
There are several ways to compose email messages in SmarterMail, depending on whether you are writing a new message or replying to an existing message.
Creating a New Message
To create a new message, click New in the navigation pane toolbar and then click New Message. This will open a new message window that you will use to compose the email message.
The following fields will appear in the header of the message:
- From - Select the email address from which the message will be sent and/or the signature to use in this message. Note: This field only displays if the user has multiple addresses from which messages can be sent in SmarterMail (SMTP accounts or domain aliases) or has multiple signatures configured for the account. If the domain administrator has disabled the ability to override domain-level signatures, the user cannot choose an alternative signature for their SmarterMail email address.
- To - Type the email addresses to which the message will be sent or click To to select email addresses from your address book. SmarterMail Enterprise users can change the list source to select email addresses from the Global Address List. Note: When entering addresses into the To, Cc, and Bcc fields, SmarterMail will auto-complete addresses by referencing your contacts list, mailing lists, aliases or the Global Address List.
- Cc - Type the email addresses of recipients that should receive a carbon copy of the message or click Cc to select email addresses from your address book.
- Bcc - Type the email addresses of recipients that should receive a blind carbon copy of the message or click Bcc to select email addresses from your address book. Note: Emails listed in this field will be concealed from the complete list of recipients. For this reason, it is common practice to use the Bcc field when addressing a very long list of recipients or a list of recipients that should not (necessarily) know each other.
- Subject - Type the subject of the email.
The following options are available in the toolbar of the new message window:
- Send - Sends your message to the designated recipients.
- Save as Draft - Saves the message in its current state to the Drafts folder. This is useful if you need to continue writing the message at a later time.
- Attach Files - Attaches files to the message. When files are attached to an outgoing message, a file manager will display at the bottom of the new message window. The file manager will display the name, size, and upload status of the file. Note: To remove an attached file prior to sending the message, click the trash icon in the file manager.
- Link From Storage - Inserts a link to a file saved on the server that the recipient can use to download the file. For more information, see File Storage Overview.
- Flags - Specifies delivery options and/or marks the message for follow-up.
- Message Priority - Specifies the importance of the message. By default, messages have a normal level of priority.
- Request a Read Receipt - Sends an email confirmation to the sender when the recipient opens the message.
- Mark for Follow-up - Marks the message for follow-up. For more information, see Marking Email for Follow-ups .
- Cancel - Cancels the message and closes the new message window.
Replying to Email Messages
Alternatively, you may want to reply to the sender or to all of the recipients of a message. SmarterMail gives users two options for replying to a message:
- Reply - Addresses a response to the sender only.
- Reply All - Addresses a response to the sender and everyone else who received the message. This includes all email addresses listed in the To and Cc fields, except your own email address.
When replying to a message, SmarterMail automatically fills in the address fields with the email addresses of the recipients from the original message, the subject field with the subject from the original message preceded by "Re" (which means "regarding" or "in regards to"), and the text box with the text from the original message. All other message options are the same as when composing a new message.