SmarterMail users will know they have email waiting to be read three ways:
- The number of unread messages will display next to the name of the folder in the navigation pane.
- The status indicator of unread messages will display a yellow envelope.
- The headers of unread messages will display in bold text in the content pane.
- A new message notification will temporarily display in the lower left corner of the webmail interface. Note: This feature can be disabled from the Account Settings page.
To view the contents of a message, click the desired message and it will load in the preview pane. You can also double-click the message to view the message in a separate window.
In general, the following options are available from the preview pane toolbar:
- Reply - Addresses a response to the sender only.
- Reply All - Addresses a response to the sender and everyone else who received the message. This includes all email addresses listed in the To and Cc fields, except your own email address.
- Forward - Sends the message to someone else.
- Delete - Moves the message to the Deleted Items folder. Note: This is the default action taken when a message is deleted. Depending on your account settings, the delete action may be different. For more information, see Deleting Email Messages.
- Add - Creates a new task and links it to the message. For more information, see Linking to Email Tasks.
- Print - Prints the message.
Downloading Email Attachments
If the message has an attachment, a paperclip will display in the header of the message. In addition, an attachments tab will display under the message header in the preview pane. To view the attached files in a message, click the attachments tab and click the appropriate file.
SmarterMail also makes it easy for users to search their messages for those with attachments. To quickly view all incoming and outgoing messages with attachments, click All Attachmentsin the navigation pane.
Changing the Message View
By default, SmarterMail displays messages in HTML format because it provides formatting and markup capabilities that are not available in plain text for emails. Generally, HTML emails are the most visual pleasing as images, colors, fonts, bulleted lists, tables, etc. are best rendered in this format.
However, there may be times when you want to view the message in another plain text format, view the raw content of the message, or analyze the header of the message. To change the message view, click the appropriate tab on the lower right corner of the message:
- HTML - Displays the message in HTML format, which allows for colors, fonts, graphics, and other formatting.
- Text - Displays the message in plain text, which only allows text content with no special formatting or graphics.
- Header - Displays the header of the message, which indicates the path the email took to get to your email account, along with several other pieces of information.
- Raw Content - Displays the content of the email exactly as the server received it. This is helpful if you cannot view the message in any other display mode.